7/20/2011

The Achaim post

Hi folks, so as promised in my previous post on on my y!gallery, i'm giving My blond barbarian his own post, I am also going to show you guys a process pic. It's not like a tutorial or anything but i though I'd share the steps that i go through when I'm drawing. so here goes.

First the sketch


Now i say this all the time but i draw the penis last, or in this case not at all. As you'll see in the process pic that will follow, i drew it after i Inked it.



As you may have noticed, the process here was a little unorthodox. Thanks to the ability to have layers on a drawing, i go a little off the beaten path sometimes, case in point, once for a drawing i went from line art to finishing the background then back to the main piece again. There are MANY different ways to go about a drawing, especially where a traditional to digital work flow is concerned.

Here after i inked it i colored his hair right after. I haven't drawn him in Years and this being the first time i colored him, his hair and skin tone had to be thought of and done early on for me to get a good grip of how he'll look.
After that was done, i added the "equipment".

So that's the first 4 drawings of the first line.

Now time for the flats or flat colors which i did below the Hair color layer and line art layer. This makes thing easier for me because later on I'll just merge them ( the color layers ) making things easier.
After deciding the light source ( which can be all over the place sometimes) i start the shading. After that, i add what i like to call the " shine " layer, which is all those little lines and circles of light that appear around his body.
The next step is not always necessary but i like to do that if i feel like i need to. I duplicate the flat colors layer and set it to multiply and lower the opacity. This gives him an overall less bright skin tone.

Now we're done with line two.

At the very bottom line are the background and final touches, which are usually easy because i have them ( the layers for the background ) underneath everything. Next if I'm not happy with the overall look of the pic, i go in the adjustments and play around with the Hue/Saturation until i get what i want.
And then Finally i added vascular details ( or veins) to finish it up.



That and a little text for him to talk.

So the you go, Achaim the Barbarian! drawn after a drawing i did of him over FOUR years ago !



Not a bad update if you ask me. :D

Hope you enjoyed this and/or found it somewhat useful.

More soon, enjoy !

No comments: